DEFENSE FROM EMP, RFID, HACKERS AND MORE
The reliance on electronic devices in today’s information age is incredible, to say the least—communications, information, GPS navigation and entertainment for when you need a break from life.
However, having “everything” at your fingertips comes with a price. These items’ electronic “breadcrumbs” can let others know your whereabouts, and they’re susceptible to interference and data theft. In addition, there’s always the risk that these “mini-miracles” can cease to function if an EMP (electromagnetic pulse) strikes.
Nevertheless, there’s a way to fight back against these invisible threats, and that’s to secure your electronic devices inside Faraday-influenced pouches, boxes, safes and even handkerchiefs. They’re your last line of defense when someone’s trying to steal your secrets or an EMP lets loose its electronics-killing energy. Without them, your devices become a liability or risk being disconnected from the grid.
Faraday Defense Corp. 3-Piece Faraday Bag Kit
Electronic devices come in all shapes and sizes. As a result, you need varying sizes of protection—and that’s where this kit comes in handy. Consisting of three double CYBER fabric Faraday bags, the kit provides a small, medium and large-sized bag; they’re perfect for your cell phone, wallet, computer drives, credit cards and much more. Hook-and-loop closures allow all bags to be sealed tightly and reopened with ease. An EMP pulse doesn’t play favorites. Protect your gear now!
- Shields small electronics from EMP strikes
- Durable construction
- Sizes: 12×18, 16×20 and 18×28 inches
- Double-folding, hook-and-loop bag closures
Faraday Defense Corp. Mini NX3 Faraday Bag
Cell phones are carried just about everywhere, every day. With an EMP blast, these devices will cease to be the backbone of information and communication and will become useless chunks of metal and circuits. The solution? Carry a Faraday bag with you and protect your phone when it’s not in use. In addition, this bag can shield credit cards and computer drives from becoming useless. It’s as easy as dropping your electronics inside and sealing the bag.
- Interior dimensions: 5×7 inches
- Double-fold, hook-and-loop seal
- Durable outer construction
- Resealable and reusable
- Ideal for cell phones and other small devices
Holland Shielding Systems Prefabricated Faraday Cage
A Faraday cage will keep your precious electronics protected against an EMP strike. Holland Shielding Systems can build a cage to your specifications to meet your own personal needs. These durable structures are freestanding, offer high-performance shielding and are easy to mount if you hire skilled workers; or you can opt for a kit to assemble yourself. Numerous upgrades and options include ventilation panels, shielded doors, acoustic inside panels, automatic doors and a lightweight alternative. These cages are designed to meet or exceed the vast majority of shielding requirements requested today.
- Freestanding construction
- High shielding performance without deterioration
- Easy to modify, enlarge or reinstall
- Many sizes in stock; custom designs are available
- Standard, 10-year warranty (excluding electronics and moving parts)
MSRP: Contact company for price quote
Holland Shielding Systems Faraday Tent
If you’re looking for a more economical way to fight the effects of an EMP strike, or when a solid and more permanent Faraday cage just won’t suit your needs, it’s time to turn to a Faraday Tent. This lightweight, highly conductive and ultra-strong textile can be hung easily by rope from the ceiling or assembled with an optional, self-standing frame for on-the-spot protection from EMP disruption. Additionally, EMC experiments, RF measurements and other forensic or personal protection can be performed inside. Numerous sizes and shapes are available for most shielding purposes.
- Easy to mount and move
- Custom-created for any size
- Optional reinforced floor
- Available in a single or double layer
- Mounting ropes supplied; or use optional mounting frame
MSRP: Contact company for price quote
Holland Shielding Systems Conductive Aluminum Tape
A protective Faraday box, cage or pouch is only as good as its seams, and this aluminum tape handles that with ease. Constructed of three layers—a metal outer foil layer, a conductive adhesive in the middle and siliconized paper—this tape is perfect for sealing corners, large sheets of metal and cylindrical supports or handles. The tape can be custom cut as strips or pieces and can be produced with or without adhesives. Don’t skimp on this important aspect of Faraday cage creation!
- Ideal for EMI/RFID shielding in aluminum housings
- Three-layer construction
- Shiny, foil metal finish
- Custom die-cut to a customer’s needs
- Available with or without adhesive
MSRP: Contact company for price quote
Mission Darkness Window Faraday Bag for Phones
Along with the great convenience of your phone come privacy issues and safety concerns relating to hacking, tracking, spying and custody corruption. Simply drop your phone inside this durable, ballistic nylon bag, and have confidence that your phone will be safe from malicious hackers. The transparent window allows quick visuals to the contents within, while the hook-and-loop closure keeps a tight seal.
- Utilizes high-shielding TitanRF Faraday fabric
- Internal dimensions: 5.25×8.5 inches
- Completely blocks all wireless signals
- Built with durable, water-resistant ballistic nylon
- Can be used for cell phones, GPS units, two-way radios, key fobs and more
Mission Darkness Window Faraday Bag for Key Fobs
Few people realize that their vehicle can be hacked by “car” criminals using signal amplification to mimic a key fob’s signal, thus gaining access to automobiles without having to smash a window or pry open the door. This Faraday bag fits two units easily and shields “always-on” key fob signals. The pouch is constructed of high-shielding TitanRF Faraday fabric on all sides, with dual paired seam construction for long-lasting performance. Carry this bag with the belt loop or use the key ring loop for attachment of a key ring or carabiner.
- Prevents relay hacking and digital car theft
- Internal dimensions: 5.5×3.5 inches
- Durable, water-resistant ballistic nylon outer material
- EMI, EMR and EMF radiation shielding
Mission Darkness Dry Shield Faraday Tote 15L
This tote completely blocks all wireless signals and prevents hacking, tracking and spying. But did you know that it’s also safe to take out during downpours and all-around bad weather? It is! Now, you can take your protected electronics anywhere you go. This bag features a large interior space, as well as an unshielded zipper pocket on the outside for keys, change and other small non-electronics. A convenient, adjustable shoulder strap allows hands-free carry.
- Blocks all wireless signals and keeps small electronics shielded
- Internal dimensions: 21.5×9 inches
- Outer shell constructed of durable, waterproof 500D PVC
- Interior comprises two layers of high-shielding TitanRF Faraday fabric
- Waterproof, unshielded zipper pocket for small, non-electronic items
Mission Darkness Blocker Locker 7
Designed for law enforcement and forensic needs, this durable locker unit not only protects crucial cell phones, it also keeps them live, charged and shielded from RF signals. Each compartment can be individually locked and can protect up to two devices per drawer. Seven Faraday bags are included; additional bags can be purchased separately.
- Seven lockable compartments; 4.5x13x18 inches each
- Power indicator light on main cabinet
- Each cabinet has a power outlet and two USB power receptacles
- Basic usage instruction stickers printed on locker
- Includes seven Mission Darkness Charge and Shield Faraday bags
Earthtech Products Faraday Duffle Bag
If you’re going to carry a bag regularly for your gear and small items, why not have one that offers the most all-around protection in case of a solar flare or EMP pulse? This bag presents a “normal” appearance—all the while keeping your cell phone, computer and tablets free from harm due to either man-made or natural causes. The Faraday fabric inside, along with the bag’s durable outer ballistic fabric, makes this bag tough for regular daily use. And, it’s made in the U.S.A.
- Perfect for cell phones, GPS, laptops, Bluetooth devices and more
- Dimensions: 22x10x10 inches
- Quickly shields multiple wireless devices simultaneously
- Holds ID cards in front transparent pocket
- Nondescript outer appearance goes unnoticed by prying eyes
Earthtech Products EMP Shield
Reacting in one-billionth of a second, this device will shield all electronics connected to one electrical system if or when an EMP pulse is triggered. This incredibly fast shutdown causes over-voltage to be drained away before equipment can be damaged, thereby protecting computers, tablets and other items vital to life in the 21st century. This amazing device protects against all phases of an EMP (E1, E2 and E3) and solar flares. And, if lightning strikes, there’s a $25,000 insurance guarantee that your gear will be safe and continue to operate as normal!
- Unit protects all electronics and equipment connected to an electrical system
- Capable of withstanding more than 228,000 amps
- Designed for flush breaker boxes
- Surpasses all military EMP testing standards
Goal Zero Faraday Bag
This nondescript, handled bag offers big protection from an EMP pulse and a plethora of other shielding needs. Just drop your valuable electronics inside and roll the hook-and-loop closure securely for instant shielding from nearly anything that can harm or hack your electronic gear. Double-layered fabric, coupled with a tough-as-nails ballistic nylon exterior, makes this item a smart choice in today’s digital-heavy age. A clear ID pocket rounds out this bag.
- EMP and solar flare protection
- Internal dimensions: 20×15.5×11.5 inches
- Blocks Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, cell signals, GPS, RFID and radio signals
- Two layers of high-shielding fabric
- Soft, comfortable carrying handles
Montie Gear EMP-Resistant Box/Faraday Cage
This Faraday Cage means business and is a powerhouse to prevent EMP and CME (coronal mass ejection) damage to electronics, both large and small. Triple gaskets and thick aluminum plating form the heavy-duty construction, while stainless steel clamps allow for easy opening and secure closure. If you need a larger or smaller box or one with specific dimensions, custom orders are available upon request.
- Constructed of 3/16-inch aluminum plate
- Seals with 6 stainless steel clamps
- MuMetal iron lining
- Three gaskets form a tight connection between lid and box body
- Custom sizes available upon request
Atmosure Copper Faraday Fabric
When you can’t find the right size or type of protective container for your sensitive electronic devices, you might need to create your own enclosure. Atmosure Copper Faraday fabric is sold in 36×44-inch panels so you can have the flexibility to construct a container that suits your specific needs. Because of the fabric’s military-grade protection that blocks a wide variety of harmful radiation, you’ll rest easy with your equipment safely stowed behind this fabric.
- Fabric is readily cut and sewn
- Blocks EMF, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth and other radiation
- Metallic copper-color surface
- Includes free safety guide
Faraday Defense Metal Faraday Cage
This Faraday cage is made with solid metal on all six sides and has heavy-duty closure clasps to ensure security and a confident seal from damaging radiation. Store small devices and laptops in this cage to protect them from EMP, as well as Bluetooth, Wi-Fi and other threats.
- Lid seals flush to the box opening
- Dimensions: 3.25×12.5×19.5 inches
- Rubber lining for added protection
- Made in U.S.A.
Mission Darkness Dry Shield Faraday Pack
You can’t count on the weather to cooperate when you need to move your sensitive electronic gear to a better location. This large, duffel-style backpack prevents hacking, tracking and spying of your personal information that’s stored on the devices inside. Barrel-shaped, it’s large enough for laptops and other digital equipment, and the shell fabric is a waterproof 500D PVC with two layers of shielding. Five detachable, unshielded external MOLLE pouches and a knife/flashlight holder are included.
- Blocks Wi-Fi, EMI, Bluetooth, cell signals, RFID and more
- Capacity: 40 liters
- Dimensions: 20×11 inches
- Weight: 5.6 pounds
- Adjustable waist and shoulder straps
Mission Darkness Exodus Faraday Car Cover
Do you have a vehicle you want to protect from HEMP/EMP and other harmful radiation? The Exodus Car Cover could be the solution for keeping it ready to go for after the danger’s passed. Available in three general sizes to fit small vehicles, ATVs, standard sedans, pickups and SUVs, the cover will be built to fit the dimensions you specify. Because the fabric is delicate, it’s designed to provide longer-term protection for a vehicle you don’t expect to use until it’s needed—not your everyday driver.
- Custom-built to fit your vehicle’s dimensions
- Built-in rubber floor mats
- Can also be used to shield generators and survival gear caches
- Repair tape and patches are included
MSRP: Starting at $5,500 (small vehicles/ATVs)
TitanRF Faraday Foam Gasket
If you’re building your own Faraday box and have concerns about making an effective seal for the lid, the TitanRF Faraday Foam Gasket might be the solution. Offered in two sizes, these foam strips are covered with a high-shielding fabric, along with adhesive on one side. Simply cut the gasket to the length you need, remove the adhesive backing, and install it in place. The smaller gasket is intended for box lids and the like, and the larger one is best-suited for door frames and larger applications.
- Effective against EMP, RF signals and other threats
- Short size: 20×0.4x.047 inches
- Long size: 90x.075x.025 inches
- Cut to desired length with scissors
- Flexible enough for use on rounded sides
MSRP: From $8 (short size)
Editor’s note: A version of this article first appeared in the June, 2021 print issue of American Survival Guide.