Bolt cutters are more than just cutting wires and cables. They are powerful cutting tools that can also be very useful during emergency situations.
Find out more about how a bolt cutter can be useful during emergencies, from breaking padlocks and trimming metals, to tearing away plasterboards!
Bolt Cutters and Their Uses | Emergencies & Beyond
1. Cut Through Wire, Fencing, or Rebars
Critical moments like fires are where bolt cutters can come in handy. They’re powerful enough to cut wires, metal fences, and even snap rebars.
2. Break Free From Shackles or Locks
Bolt cutters can save the day for those who lost their precious keys. But depending on your shackle or cable lock, a standard and small bolt cutter might not able to cut through.
- Note: cutting locks is not recommended
- Drop forged chrome molybdenum steel and powder coated jaws for sure, efficient cutting and long life. Ergonomic bi-material…
- Classic lever-fulcrum design and precisely aligned blades deliver added leverage with less effort
If you have a max-performance cable lock, using a heavy-duty firehouse bolt cutter might be the answer.
3. Cut Through Live Electrical Wire (If With Fiberglass Handles)
A bolt cutter can be crucial for life or death situations like this. Before cutting a live electrical wire, make sure your bolt cutter has a fiberglass handle to keep the situation from being bad to worst!
4. Useful for Trimming Metals
Accidents like car crashes need bolt cutters to set people free. A heavy-duty bolt cutter is a perfect alternative for hydraulic rescue tools in assisting vehicle extrication.
5. Great for Tearing Away Plasterboards
Accessing wall cavities makes a bolt cutter an important tool for rescue operations. In times of fire emergency, bolt cutters will help cut away plasterboard to access wall cavities and rescue people who are trapped inside.
Here’s an infographic guide of the different bolt cutter uses. Don’t forget to download, save, or share this handy infographic for reference:
There you have it! Now you know how important it is to have a bolt cutter within reach. Add a bolt cutter to your bug-out bag or survival kit because this powerful tool will give you an advantage during times of crisis.
Do you know other uses of bolt cutters during an emergency situation? Let us know in the comments section below!
- 6 Self Defense Tools Every Prepper Should Have
- Prepping Supplies 101: Getting Ready For a Pandemic
- How To Make A Ghillie Suit From Scratch
Calling all preppers, craftsmen, bushmasters, outdoorsmen, and all-around skilled people, Survival Life needs YOU! Click here if you want to write for us.